Sunday 3 April 2016

April Update

Can't believe it's already April! My eczema has gone through a bunch of flares and I've started back up at uni and placement, and everything's a bit hectic at the moment (but not too hectic as I am an expert in denial and procrastination).

Elidel

I suppose the most important thing to note is that I went through a course of Elidel cream, a prescription non-steroid cream. Since my bad reaction to steroid cream, I had been adverse to trying other medicinal options but honestly, I'm just so fed up with eczema now. Anyway, at the advice of a GP, I used it twice a day for two weeks. While it certainly had a great effect in lessening the red irritation, the dryness remained and the patches didn't really go away. After I ceased using the cream, I inevitably fell back into the cycle of mild-moderate flares, especially with the addition of stress and reduced sleep now that I'm back at uni and starting placement. My current plan is possibly going to a dermatologist and seeking their opinion on whether continuing Elidel for a longer period of time may be an option (of note, there has been research to suggest that long term use of Elidel has been linked with an increased incidence of malignancies such as skin cancer. However a cause and effect relationship has not been established.)

Moisturisers

In terms of looking after my skin, I'm looking for new moisturisers at the moment. Unfortunately, my skin hero, Lush Dream Cream, as ceased to have an amazing effect on my skin :( I imagine it's because my skin has adapted and apparently this is quite common. As such, I'm trying a few samples here and there but so far nothing too amazing. I did actually end up revisiting Avène Rich Skin Recovery Cream and found something interesting. On the non-flaring dry patches, it would actually make them drier in the morning (particularly after I've used a scrub) but in a way that the dry, dead skin would flake off and new smooth skin would be underneath! Unfortunately, the latter would become rashy and dry again in a few days and the cycle would continue, so not really sure what to make of it? Anyway, I think I'll give repurchasing the cream a pass, and explore other options - I've actually just bought First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream online so fingers crossed it's my next Dream Cream.

Face Masks

I also finally gave face masks a go. I used the Tony Moly Pureness 100 Hyaluronic Mask and while my skin did not react badly (aside from some patches of flared eczema feeling a bit tingly), it didn't really do anything. I was very tempted to buy the First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Oatmeal Mask but thought I would refrain since the reviews were mixed and perhaps I should stick with simple, DIY masks? Not sure, and would be grateful for some opinions.


So in sum, I'm not really sure what I'm doing about my eczema at the moment, but it's been looking okay after a recent flare (i.e. not horrific) and I just generally feel like I'm dealing with each flare-up as it comes, as tiring as it is. I'm contemplating using a toner again as I've heard some good things but I'm a little hesitant about whether it would just be adding another product into my routine which isn't actually needed.

Sorry for the poorly structured post, I just felt like unloading everything that's been circling around my mind these past couple of months. I hope everyone is doing okay out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment